Saturday, July 23, 2016

French state faces lawsuits over failure to thwart terrorist attacks

Several victims of the July 14 truck attack have said they plan to sue the French state and the municipality of Nice amid criticism of the authorities’ failure to prevent the latest deadly attack on French soil.

French authorities have faced fierce criticism since Tunisia-born Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel drove a 19-tonne truck along Nice’s packed sea-front promenade on Bastille Day, France’s main public holiday, killing 84 people and injuring scores more.

It was the third time in 18 months that an attack linked to jihadist extremism had caused carnage on the streets of France, though investigators are still probing Bouhlel’s actual links to radical Islamism.

While previous attacks were followed by a display of unity from France’s political forces, the bloodshed on the French Riviera has prompted heated wrangling over claims officials failed to provide adequate security on Nice’s famed Promenade des Anglais, where revellers had gathered to watch the traditional firework display on July 14.

‘People here are very unhappy with what happened and targeted their anger at politicians’


  • The public mood has also been less forgiving. Earlier this week, Prime Minister Manuel Valls was booed by an angry crowd on Nice’s beachfront walkway as he attended a minute of silence in tribute to the victims. Some cried “Valls resign”.

Lawyers say several victims and their relatives now plan to take their grief and anger to court, accusing the authorities of failing in their duty to protect the public...
 [france24.com]
22/7/16
--
-
Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment

ethnologia news only

Five million of our brothers: It is Turks who will shape Europe's future

Europe's future depends on the Turks who live there, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told a large public rally on Thursday.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin