Κυριακή, 7 Μαΐου 2017

Dozens of Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram released

Boko Haram militants have released dozens of schoolgirls out of a group of more than 200 whom they kidnapped from the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, officials said today.


A government minister said 82 girls had been released. Unconfirmed reports on social media put the number of freed girls at between 50 and 62.

"The girls were released through negotiations with the government," one official said, adding that an official statement would follow shortly.

A military source said the girls were currently in Banki near the Cameroon border for medical checks before being airlifted to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.

The kidnapping was one of the high-profile incidents of Boko Haram's insurgency in Nigeria's northeast, now in its eighth year and with little sign of ending. About 220 girls were abducted from their school in a nighttime attack.
  [rte.ie]
7/5/17

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

ethnologia news only

Five million of our brothers: It is Turks who will shape Europe's future

Europe's future depends on the Turks who live there, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told a large public rally on Thursday.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin